Indian marriage registration refers to the procedure of legalizing a marriage. Some people opt for court marriages whereas others marry as per the traditional rites and then apply for the registration. However, in both the cases, a marriage certificate is issued separately to both the boy and the girl. It is a legal proof of registration of a marriage. The need for the certificate arises when you need to prove your marital status, for claiming a share in property, and for other purposes like opening a bank account with a new surname, obtaining passport, etc.

Indian Marriage Registration

There are two laws that govern marriages in India, The Hindu Marriage Act and The Special Marriage Act. The former one includes registration of an already solemnized marriage. The latter one provides for both solemisation and registration of a marriage by a registrar. However, the legal formalities to obtain a marriage certificate are slightly differernt under both the Acts.


Under the Hindu Marriage Act, both the boy and the girl have to apply for registration atleast six months before the date of marriage. They can apply to the Registrar in whose jurisdiction the marriage will be solemnised or to the Registrar in whose jurisdiction either of the partners to the marriage resides. After the marriage gets solemnized as per the rituals, both the partners have to appear before the Registrar along with witnesses within one month from the date of marriage to obtain a marriage certificate. However, the act extends the period of applying for a certificate upto 5 years from the date of marriage. Beyond this tenure, the couple has to apply to the concerned District Registrar.

Under the Special Marriage Act, both the boy and the girl have to give a notice for the proposed marriage to the Marriage Officer in whose jurisdiction either of the partners or both reside for a minimum period of one month prior to the date of notice. The notice is put on a display board of the office for a month to ensure that there is no objection to the intended marriage. Within a month, if any objection is received, the officer has to enquire about it and take a decision to solemnize or refuse the marriage request. Alternatively, the marriage is solemnized and registered.

Remember that the boy should be of 21 years of age and the girl should be of 18 years of age at the time of marriage.